Tuesday, July 28, 2009

More News from the Windy Cave



So life continues to be exciting and an adventure here at Wind Cave! I won't give you a daily description this time, but the adventure is certainly continuing! I have continued to get to see a lot of the surrounding area and hope to go on a short backpacking trip this next weekend. The only bummer is that I will have to go alone because there is not anyone here to go with me. :( But it will still be a fun adventure!

I have done some hiking around the prairie in the last few days and have seen a wonderful world around me. In addition to beautiful sunsets and a serene atmosphere I have seen deer, pronghorn (including absolutely adorable babies!), and lots of elk! I saw one heard of 159 elk by official count (it may have been more than that) while I was hiking. So there are elk in the park!

I am giving the candlelight tour for the fourth time tomorrow. I have a lot of fun with that as I portray a member of the 1902 survey team! I am actually trying to get authorized to do the tour in full costume and character, which would be very fun for me!

I am also in the process of putting together my campfire program, which is centered on the idea of preserving the wilderness. I get to talk about Lewis and Clark, mountain men like John Colter and Jedediah Smith, the mission of the parks service, the story of the bison, and maybe even a little of Wild Bill Hickok and the old west. We will see how it all turns out! I will be presenting that for the first time at some point next week. I will receive my schedule for the next two weeks on Thursday.

I also just found out that I am for sure going to be here at Wind Cave through August 29 and possibly longer than that. I don't know for sure how long, but it looks like I have a pretty good chance of being able to stay at least a week or two into September. I really hope that I am able to do exactly that! I want to stay as long as I can before I have to leave this place and this job.

I made a few other significant decisions as well. I officially sent word to Sharp's that I am not going to be coming back to work again. So I am finished there. No bookkeeping again for me! I am on to something new and better. I don't know for sure what that means, but I am going for it!

I have applied for jobs at Death Valley, Mojave, the Everglades, and Big Bend National Parks for the winter season and am going to continue to apply for anything else I can find in hopes of working at one of those sites for the winter months. If I do not get hired at any of those places my plan is to stay here as long as possible, go back to Oroville for a little while, and then ?????

Life is certainly an adventure!

Please keep me in your prayers and if you have any thoughts or ideas do be sure to let me know!

~Ranger Garrett

No comments:

Post a Comment